Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

That is sooooo cool!

I love fresh produce. I appreciate the difference between small grower organic produce and commercially grown crops. I live in a rural area where the gardens are plentiful and my Amish and Mennonite neighbors garden to feed their large families. What I don't love is spending July and August pulling weeds in the 90 degree heat. And I really don't love crawling around in the dirt on my almost 50 year old knees. I love the idea of gardening and the healthy produce benefits that come with it. I just don't like actually performing the work of actual gardening myself. At least not in the traditional sense.

A few days ago I was browsing my Facebook news feed when I saw something that I had never seen before. That probably happens a lot in a Facebook news feed... but this thing was REALLY cool.


What is that? It was on the Facebook page of a high school friend. Their family had just gotten one and they were happily growing spring lettuce.

It was a garden table.

I started to investigate. My friend had gotten this simple yet amazing piece of garden utopia from a place called Your Garden Solution. I checked out their web site and soon began learning the advantages to square foot gardening as it was called as opposed to traditional gardening.

It seem that this method solved all my issues with traditional gardening. This method was easy, organic, not labor intensive, provided low weed maintenance, an abundant harvest, worked for vegetables or herbs and was raised on legs to save my rapidly aging back and knees. It was low water, no til and easily accessible.

It provided me with everything that I wanted in a garden and eliminated all of the things that I didn't like. I wanted one... now. I had already missed out on a month of growing for early spring vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment