Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2014

It's here... It's here!!!!!

Friday was a very busy, very exciting day. First my book arrived in the morning mail. I spent a few hours after lunch with the All New Square Foot Gardening. It became apparent to me that this was just the beginning of my adventure. It didn't take me long to realize that it was going to take about three boxes to meet my wish list. Heck, I was going to need one just for herbs. I had been buying the fresh herbs in little pots at the grocery store in the produce section for the past few years now.

My favorites are basil, Italian parsley, rosemary, mint, and garlic. I also use sage and oregano fairly often too. In a perfect world, I will go through one plant a week of my favorites. So I am going to most definitely have a few different plants at different stages of growth to keep myself supplied with those herbs.

Then around mid afternoon, I was off to meet Joe Manatti of  Your Garden Solution to pick up my first garden box and the special soil mix that went with it.

Here is a simple, quick vinaigrette that will be perfect for your first harvest of greens.  It goes especially well with a spinach and arugula mix. My kids love it.

Onion Vinaigrette

2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 slice of onion, minced
1 tsp. thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. of Sea or Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil or more as needed

Chop the onion slice into quarters and throw it in the food processer and pulse until finely minced. Then add the vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper.  Turn the food processor on and add the oil in a slow stream so that it emulsifies.

Serve this fresh vinaigrette over baby greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment